Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Little Things

We were late to church today. And last week. And probably the time before that. In fact, our church runs the time down in seconds on the screen until church starts, and I can't remember the last time we were there early enough to see it. And this both frustrates me and dumbfounds me.

I get up whenever Elizabeth says it's time to get up, which was 7:00 am today, and we try to go to the 9:00 service. I don't stop from the time I get up until the time we walk out the door. I feed Elizabeth, pump a bottle for the 10:00 feeding and get her bag together, take a shower and get dressed, get Elizabeth dressed, AND attempt to drink my cup of coffee as I'm sprinting past the cup. Usually, I just grab a granola bar to eat in the car on the way because I don't have time to have breakfast. Will we ever be on time anywhere again? Especially to church!

But today, after feeding Elizabeth and changing her diaper, I took her in to Dan who was still laying in bed. I went downstairs to prepare aforementioned bottle, and found the two of them still laying in the same position when I returned. As I climbed into bed, and noticed Elizabeth scratching her Daddy's goatee with her tiny little fingertips, I got it.

All of this time right now is but a fleeting glimpse. When Dan and I look back on our life together, we won't reminisce in pride that we made it to a church building on time every week. We will cherish the moments that we lingered in bed with our four month old daughter as she discovered all the life around her. And because God has given this incredible gift to us, I'm going to make sure that I am grateful for every single moment.

So I apologize to our church family, especially if you sit on the left side and we're disrupting you as we come in during the second or third song. Life is just too short, and we're praising God in other ways during that first song.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

So true, so true!! I wish I could see you in action my beautiful friend!